Los Angeles, California is a vibrant and diverse city. While most known as the subject of many iconic songs, movies, and TV series, it is not just the entertainment industry that thrives in this famous cultural melting pot. Industries such as tourism, high-tech, fashion, real-estate, and even aerospace also enjoy plenty of success. Add in the sunny weather and miles of beaches, and it’s no wonder why 1 in 10 Americans live in California. If you just moved to Los Angeles and have an entrepreneurial spirit, you are in luck, because the city has a lot to offer for your next big idea. Here are 7 of the best business resources in Los Angeles.
1. Mucker Capital / MuckerLab
MuckerLab is ranked as the United States’ number two most successful accelerator. Mucker gets its name from Thomas Edison’s legendary laboratory that gave us both AC and DC electricity. They like to get involved early on with companies, not just with funding, but with mentoring, coaching, and setting up new ventures for success.
Mucker believes that Los Angeles and Silicon Beach is beginning to rival Silicon Valley in funding and talent. Do you believe your big idea is ready for funding? Then contact MuckerLab – they even get involved in “pre-seed” stages.
2. Business Source Centers
Every new business owner needs a helping hand. The most successful individuals almost always have a mentor or life coach that gave them the tips and confidence to succeed. That’s what MCS Business Source is all about. They offer the following:
- Free training for entrepreneurs and small businesses to improve operations
- Free consultation and counseling on obtaining funding, including help with completing loan applications
- Business plan development, including financial planning, and marketing strategy
- Access to capital
- Obtaining business licenses and permits
You can find Business Source locations around Los Angeles by visiting: https://business.lacity.org/resources/service-centers.
3. WeWork Co-working Spaces
With the mission to, “create a world where people work to make a life, not a living”, WeWork provides private office spaces, lounges, shared workspace, conference rooms, and event spaces all under a common roof. The communal design provides occupants an excellent opportunity to network, collaborate, and truly be part of a diverse business community. Whether it be a single entrepreneur, or a team of 100, WeWork is a great alternative to leasing a traditional office space. Membership includes access to high speed Internet, coffee, business printers, office supplies, a front desk service, daily cleaning, craft beer on tap, mailing services, and ultimately an innovative and thriving business community.
To find the closest of the 19 based Los Angeles WeWork spaces near you, visit: https://www.wework.com/l/los-angeles–CA.
4. Shopify’s Los Angeles Space
Shopify is known for its easy-to-use e-commerce platform. It supports thousands of e-commerce businesses by providing them with free website templates and easy integration into, for example, payment gateways.
So, what does the office in Los Angeles offer? Shopify’s space in LA is a destination for current and aspiring business owners seeking to learn, experiment, and build with Shopify. The location offers 1:1 “Guru Appointments”, educational sources, community events, and retail consultations. You can reserve a spot in their “Getting Started with Shopify” class for free online by visiting: https://www.shopify.com/local/los-angeles/products/getting-started-with-shopify.
5. SCORE Mentors LA
SCORE is an excellent resource for entrepreneurs and small business owners living in Los Angeles. Most of what SCORE offers is either free or is offered at a very affordable price. They provide:
- Free mentoring – you can find a mentor that understands the area of expertise that you need help with. Plus, some mentors can offer you a “way in,” since most are respected members of the community
- Workshops – SCORE offers workshops for managing all aspects of your business, such as marketing, accounting, and finance
- Templates –why reinvent the wheel when you don’t have to? SCORE offers templates for business and financial planning
Mentorship has proved vital in building some of the world’s most successful individuals. Give SCORE a visit to take advantage of this amazing and accessible resource.
6. Los Angeles Chamber of Commerce
One of the most impactful networking and business resources in Los Angeles is the local chamber of commerce. Representing more than 235,000 businesses in L.A. County across 35 industry sectors, the Los Angeles Chamber of Commerce is the largest and most influential business association in the county. While membership does typically come at an annual fee, chamber members gain access to:
- More than 40,000 direct referrals to member companies
- 120 plus business and professional development programs
- More than 25 advocacy and signature events
- Nearly 100 graduates participating in our civic leadership programs
- More than 10,000 job opportunities and internships for L.A. youth
Outside of the Los Angeles Chamber, there are 60 additional city chambers that offer similar resources. See a full list online at: http://www.seecalifornia.com/business/los-angeles-county-chambers-of-commerce.html
7. GeoLinks – Dedicated Business Internet Provider in Los Angeles
To support the high-demand, high-bandwidth applications that fuel today’s mission-critical business operations, you must have a fast and reliable Internet connection. And while the city of Los Angeles is home to a variety of different carriers, the vast offer unreliable, shared connections. GeoLinks is the fastest growing Business Internet provider in Los Angeles. The Company offers:
- Rapid installation – Average 4 to 7 business days
- Dedicated Internet Access (DIA) – Learn more about the difference between a dedicated and shared Internet connection here: https://geolinks.com/shared-vs-dedicated-internet-access/
- Industry’s leading Service Level Agreement – this means guaranteed 99.999% uptime, ultra-low latency, and virtually no jitter or packet loss
- 24/7/365 local in-house customer Support. Almost every business owner knows all too well how difficult and frustrating it is to worth with a major telecom company. With GeoLinks, you can actually develop a relationship with a team member, and call in and ask for them by name. This has contributed to why GeoLinks has some of the highest reviews of any provider in the area.
Often referred to as “The City of Dreams”, Los Angeles is a fast growing and thriving place to start and own a business. And while yes, there will always be challenges that unavoidably come with entrepreneurship, the city is equipped with ample accessible business resources.
Want more tips and tricks?