One of our newest team members, Rebecca comes from a technical background, including years working with High Energy Lasers in the Aerospace and Defense industry. She’s also a sucker for romantic comedies. Learn more about Rebecca in our latest employee spotlight.
1. Let’s start with the basics, what’s your role at GeoLinks?
I am the Marketing Manager – a part of the team that is growing our communications department to better serve our customers and partners.
2. Being new to your role, what’s been your favorite part about working for GeoLinks so far?
The culture and employees that I’ve gotten a chance to meet have been my favorite part of GeoLinks so far. It’s very apparent how seriously GeoLinks takes their commitment to culture, and you can see the direct effect of that through their employees.
3. What is one of the most interesting projects you’ve worked on during your career?
When I was working Aerospace and Defense I got to work with High Energy Lasers and learn about the various ways we use them, not only for defense but for communications as well—and that’s about all I can say on that 😉
4. Outside of work, what is your favorite past time or hobby?
I’m an avid baker! You can usually find me in the kitchen making brownies, cookies, profiteroles or cakes, just because!
5. What’s something most of your coworkers don’t know about you?
Something that my co-workers won’t about me is that I’m adopted.
6. What is your favorite book/movie and why?
My favorite movie is “Love Actually.” I watch it anytime I catch it on TV and especially during the Christmas season. The message that love transcends, heals and remains even when we don’t deserve it, or least expect it, is always powerful. Besides, who doesn’t want to watch a movie where one of the main characters exclaims, “Let’s go get the s*** kicked out of us by love!”
7. If you could go anywhere/do anything in the world for just one day, where would you go and what would you do?
I would go back to the north shore of Oahu and watch the turtles swim in the great expanse of pristine blue ocean.
8. What are some of the qualities you need to have a successful career in marketing/communications?
A few qualities that I think make for an exceptional marketing/comms professional are:
- The ability to pivot quickly when campaigns, pitches, and events are going as planned. Being decisive and knowing when to make a change and executing often times proves more valuable than letting resources (people, time and money) continue to be wasted on a process that’s not working. Recognizing that and moving on is key to build successful KPI’s and strategies
- Finding the “true story” that your business, customers, clients can relate to—the one underneath the data, and glossy prints! People want authenticity and connection—no matter the product. If you can find out how to package and market that, you’re well on your way.
- Never stop learning. I am not, and I hope will never be an “expert” in marketing, because there is always more to learn, develop and level-up to! I love digging into new areas of marketing and finding ways to optimize what I know by supplementing it with something new I’ve learned.
9. What’s next…what are you most excited for when you think of the future with GeoLinks?
Sky’s the limit with GeoLinks, but first I’ll settle for cementing the brand in the industry through continued outreach, brand development and top notch content development: conquering the rest of the world will just have to wait until then.